Azure Information Protection has been there for quite some time already (also previously known as Azure RMS too).
After various evolutions, it is time to see the classic Azure Information Protection client (and the associated labelling management feature in Azure portal) for retirement, scheduled for March 31, 2021.
Azure Information Protection service is not disappearing, just the classic client which is now being replaced by the Azure Information Protection Unified Labelling client, which also support other productivity application like Adobe Acrobat.
The transition to use Azure Information Protection Unified Labelling requires you to complete the below steps (which are quite easy ):
- Activate the Unified Labeling in Azure portal
- Migrate your existing labels and policies from the Azure Portal to the Microsoft 365 Compliance Center
- Azure Information Protection customer end users can begin to apply labels and protection manually in Office applications across Windows, Mac, iOS and Android
- Download Azure Information Protection Unified Client:
- Windows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53018; ensure you download the client labelled AzInfoProtection_UL.exe or
AzInfoProtection_UL_MSI_for_central_deployment.msi for centralized deployment
PDF Reader plugin:
Migrate Azure Information Protection Labels: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/information-protection/configure-policy-migrate-labels#to-migrate-azure-information-protection-labels